Re: Slot accessing issues in EIEIO

From: Zhu Zihao
Subject: Re: Slot accessing issues in EIEIO
Date: Thu, 07 May 2020 22:52:00 +0800

On Thu, 07 May 2020 22:13:49 +0800,
Jonas Bernoulli wrote:

> That sounds too complicated for my use-cases at least, and I don't see
> what we gain by doing that except not having to advice `eieio-oref' and
> `eieio-oset', which by the way I don't think is all that horrible.

Yes, any hack based on slot-missing or slot-unbound looks like a kind of
anti-pattern.

I've mentioned slot-value-using-class above, but this was based on the
MOP(metaobject protocol) of CLOS. For EIEIO, a simple solution is make
eieio-oref and (setf eieio-oref) a generic

> I haven't gotten around to ask for the latter so far because as long as
> `closql' supports older Emacs releases it would have to keep doing
> something like the former for their benefit anyway.

I think Emacs maintainers can publish a new version of EIEIO in GNU ELPA for
older Emacs releases, just like they did for cl-generic and seq