Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 17:51:44 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> After all, the autoloads are supposed to run before the .emacs, so
>>> the user can `add-to-list` just fine to override whatever was added
>>> by autoloads.
>> I don't quite understand.  Let's assume debbugs would add a handler
>> and I wouldn't like to use it.  Isn't it correct that it would add it
>> as soon as it is loaded
>
> No, it would add it via an ;;;###autoload cookie, so it's added when
> the package is activated (which used to happen via a call to
> `package-initialize` either inside the .emacs or, as a last resort,
> afterwards, but since Emacs-27 it now happens before the .emacs is
> loaded via a call to `package-activate-all`).

Ok, I see.

I want to come to a decision now.  What should we choose?  Either

  (a) a defvar for packages to plug in their url handler plus a
      defcustom for the user's preferences and to override the defvar's
      values, or

  (b) just a single defvar being used by both packages and the user.

I would prefer option (a) because I think this feature should be easily
configurable by users, i.e., without having to write Lisp code.  And
maybe also because not every package author might know that they should
add their handler with an autoload cookie.

I'm also open for an option (c). :-)

Bye,
Tassilo