Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: bug-reference.el: Allow custom handlers for opening URLs
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 11:32:56 -0400

> And when hacking that up, I've seen that this feature is already
> implemented!
>
> The value of `browse-url-browser-function' may already be a (REGEXP
> . FUNCTION) alist itself and then it works the same way as my new
> `browse-url-handlers'.

Hmm... right.  Ideally we should have 2 places to specify those
redirections: one autoload-set by packages to change the default
behavior, and one custom-set by the user to override that
default behavior.

But if we use `browse-url-browser-function` as the user-override, then
as soon as the user sets it to `browse-url-firefox` it would override
all the defaults :-(

So we still need to deprecate this old hack on `browse-url-browser-function`.

> But removing the alist from `browse-url--browser-defcustom-type' would
> break the customize interface if the user's value is indeed an alist...
> So is there a better way to deprecate a single choice of a defcustom
> type?  Just writing that in the docstring?

Good question, hopefully someone else knows.

        Stefan