Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Imports / inclusion of s.el into Emacs
Date: Mon, 04 May 2020 17:16:46 +0300

> From: chad <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 3 May 2020 17:12:00 -0700
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>, emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Eli
> Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> I think that it's fair to say that it currently leans away from the method
> that a large
> number of new coders are demonstrating that they prefer. The question is if
> and how far emacs is willing to
> change to adapt.

IMNSHO, it's inaccurate, and even somewhat unfair, to claim that Emacs
doesn't adapt.  Just read through the latest NEWS file, and you will
see hundreds of new features and quite a few significant new
technologies that we acquired just recently.  Against this backdrop,
to take a single UI feature, or a couple of features, and blame the
entire project that it turns its back on progress and the community at
large, is to blow the issue out of proportion.

The truth is that slow adoption of most significant new features is
almost always caused by absence of someone who'd sit down and do the
job of design, implementation, and testing.  The tab bar is a good
recent example, but there are many others.  Once such a person is
present, and he or she does a clean job, we "adapt" very quickly.
'Nough said.