Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add some aliases for re-related functions
Date: Sun, 03 May 2020 17:16:06 +0300

> From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 2 May 2020 22:10:29 +0200
> Cc: Yuan Fu <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> Just wanted to explicit that this assume we know both function already. If I
> don't know `posix-search-forward
> ` but know one exists, but cannot remember if it's
> regexp-search-posix-forward or posix-regexp-forward or
> forward-search-posix, in Yuan's proposal I could "C-h f re- TAB posix TAB and
> select
> "re-posix-search-forward" quickly.
>
> Without that I have to C-h d "regexp posix" and curse because it returns no
> result (Eli <--- please fix this),
> then search for C-h d posix and only then find it.

I did fix this, but please note that you are using the wrong tool for
the job.  If you expect the _name_ of the function to include "posix",
then the right tool is "C-u C-h a posix RET", which gives you exactly
what you want.  "C-h d" is for when you are NOT sure the keyword will
appear in the name, and therefore widen your search to the doc string
and the list of the arguments.