Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers

From: Arthur Miller
Subject: Re: Making Emacs more friendly to newcomers
Date: Sat, 02 May 2020 19:00:10 +0200

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 02.05.2020 18:52, Arthur Miller wrote:
>> When we speak about Emacs and adoption, I think Emacs has actually got a
>> revival, compared to how I saw it used for 20 years ago, I think it is
>> quite a lot life about Emacs nowdays. There are people blogging, doing
>> videos, reddit seems quite active, the mailing list has become likea
>> spam:-), I don't remember it was active like this before, people are
>> writing new packages and so on.
>
> Was it package.el that did this? It sounds like the most likely culprit.
I don't know; probably; it certainly helped. Melpa and github maybe have a
fingers there too. Maybe also millenial kids used to computers in the
look for customizable/better software? Need to work with "cloud"
(AWS/Azure) as well as with other devices (IoS/Android), probably made
some people switch to certain Unix like OS, or at least to work with
console which exposed them to terminal editors? I don't know, but it
seems like both Vi(m) & Emacs have got a revival lately.