Re: master 43fded1: Add lisp-data-mode for editing non-code Lisp data

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 43fded1: Add lisp-data-mode for editing non-code Lisp data
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 14:18:44 -0400

>> -       ";; -*- emacs-lisp -*-"
>> +       ";; -*- lisp-data -*-"
[...]
> That's a problem.  Tramp must be backward compatible with Emacs 25 and
> later, which doesn't know of lisp-data-mode.  Could you, pls, revert this
> part of your commit?

[ Do we also care about writing this file from Emacs-28 and then
  reading it in Emacs-25?  How 'bout restricting it so you can only use
  it with Emacs-25-but-using-a-recent-Tramp?  ]
[ Also, I assume the above problem appears because Tramp uses
  `find-file-noselect` to access this file, so it could be fixed by
  making it use `insert-file-contents` instead, right?  ]

Reminds me of similar problems I've encountered with files where I want
to use some home-made derived major mode and where they then fail
miserably when used without the rest of my config.

Clearly it's too late to fix the above problem with Emacs-25, but for
the future, I think we should provide a way to specify not just a single
mode but a list of modes by order of preference, so if `lisp-data` is
not available it falls back to `emacs-liso`.

        Stefan