Re: [ELPA] New package: transient

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: transient
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 18:05:09 +0200

On 01.05.2020 06:15, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> But then you have the reverse problem: after typing `file-name` in
> fido-mode you get too many false-positive for functions which aren't
> "manipulating file names" but merely return a file-name.

That's a fair point, but still the discoverability is not too bad. Given
weighted sorting, the relevant functions are mostly at the top, see the
screenshot.

I forgot to comment on the fido trick: I also use a completion mechanism where it lists all function containing the search term, but as shown in your screenshot the amount of filtering you have to do in your head in order to have a plain list of functions relevant to what you search for is too high in my opinion. I understand some people don't mind it but I see it as unnecessary thinking that a consistant namespace would solve. That'd mean search for `^file-name-` and have the curated list directly.

Philippe