Re: Review a blog post about emacs-devel

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Review a blog post about emacs-devel
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 18:50:19 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> > The introduction of the term "open source software" was a deliberate
> > effort to make this field of endeavor more understandable to [...] business

> Is it not true? (That’s from Christine Peterson.)

Eric S. Raymond, the leader of the Open Source Initiative at the time
wrote: "the term [Free software] makes a lot of corporate types
nervous ... There's now a chance we can make serious gains in the
mainstream business world".[1]  So yes, it was an attempt to sweep
under the rug our ideas about user freedom to make it more palatable
to "corporate types" and big business.

The FSF has taken a principled stance against this:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Footnotes:
1. See ESR's note titled "Goodbye, 'free software'; hello, 'open source'".