Re: emacs for pure Gtk3

From: Yuuki Harano
Subject: Re: emacs for pure Gtk3
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2020 22:42:53 +0900 (JST)

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 18:03:54 +0300,
        Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Form sent off-list.

Thank you.

>> By the way, this fork contains much code written by @fejfighter.
>> He said "for now: Yes I do agree to assign my code to the FSF." here,
>> https://github.com/masm11/emacs/pull/11#issuecomment-600856858 .
>> What to do?
>
> He should fill the form I sent to you, separately, and email it
> according to instructions.

Thank you.

>> Since pgtk emacs is configured with '--without-x', existing X code
>> is disabled.  If configured with '--with-x', the existing X support
>> should be enabled as before.
>
> Would configuring --with-x disable Pgtk support code?  That is, do the
> X and Pgtk support contradict each other, and cannot live in the same
> binary?  Or maybe I don't have a clear idea what exactly gets disabled
> when building with Pgtk -- can you elaborate?

X code and pgtk code contradict.  Not "support", but "code".
Pgtk emacs supports X.

I wrote:
> > If configured with '--with-x', the existing X support
> > should be enabled as before.

I'm sorry.  That should have been:
| If configured with '--with-x', the existing X code
| should be enabled as before.

Since it needs --without-x to build pgtk emacs, these files are not compiled:
- xfns.c
- xgselect.c
- xmenu.c
- xrdb.c
- xselect.c
- xsmfns.c
- xterm.c

Instead, works in those files are done in these files in pure gtk way:
- pgtkfns.c
- pgtkim.c
- pgtkmenu.c
- pgtkselect.c
- pgtkterm.c

Both of pgtk emacs and X emacs use gtkutil.c.  It contains many
"#ifdef HAVE_PGTK" to decide which it is being compiled for.

Since there are not lucid, xaw, and motif in the pure gtk world,
they are not supported in pgtk emacs.

>> Pgtk emacs supports X window system too through Gtk library.
>> It can handle Wayland, X window system, and TTY in the same session.
>> But segmentation fault may occur when running on X and Wayland
>> in the same session.
>
> I guess those segfaults need to be fixed, because having a GUI Emacs
> that can only run on Wayland would be a limitation that users might be
> unhappy about?

Yes, I think so, too.

I remember that Emacs has previously an issue when multiple display
environments.  I thought that the segfaults was the same issue.
Was that fixed?

>> Since Gtk does not support this function, it doesn't work, even if on X.
>>   - vendor_specific_keysyms
>
> Can you give examples of these keysyms, and say something about their
> popularity?

No, I can't.

>> I don't know about Lisp threads.  I have never supported it explicitly.
>> Pgtk emacs may not support it.
>
> Well, for starters see if test/src/thread-tests.el runs and succeeds
> in your Pgtk build.

Thank you.

----
luna:emacs % emacs --batch -l test/src/thread-tests.el
luna:emacs % echo $?
0
luna:emacs %
----