Re: emacs for pure Gtk3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs for pure Gtk3
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 17:01:33 +0300

> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 16:56:04 +0900 (JST)
> From: Yuuki Harano <address@hidden>
>
> You may know, I ported emacs for pure Gtk3, especially for wayland native.
>
> https://github.com/masm11/emacs
>
> I created a new window-system, pgtk, which doesn't use libX11 directly.
>
> What do you think? I want to merge to mainline.

Thank you for your interest in Emacs, and in particular for working on
this.

I think this should be pushed to a feature branch first, and we should
then let people use it and report any problems, with the purpose of
making it stable enough before we merge to master.

But before we create such a feature branch, there are a few
prerequisites:

  . You don't seem to have a copyright assignment on file.  This would
    be a significant contribution to Emacs, for which we must have
    such an assignment from you before bringing this code into the
    Emacs repository.  Would you be willing to start the legal
    paperwork now?  If so, I will send you the form to fill.

  . The code seem to be based on an relatively old version of our
    master branch, which makes it hard to review (there are many
    spurious changes unrelated to your work).  Please rebase on the
    latest HEAD of the master branch.

  . Would it be possible for you to describe the design of this
    feature, and how that affects the various Emacs features, so that
    understanding the changes would be facilitated?  In particular,
    can this new window-system live together with X and TTY frames in
    the same session? does it support Lisp threads? etc.  Also, what
    are the requirements from the platforms where this could be built
    and used?

Thanks again for your work on Emacs.