Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 07:49:39 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> > Is there an actual effort too seek out prospective packages and ask the
> > code owners to include it in emacs?
>
> Yes.  I'd say at least half of the packages we currently have in GNU
> ELPA are there because we went out and tried to get the authors to
> contribute their package to GNU ELPA.

Interesting; I wasn't aware that it was that many.  Important progress
has clearly been made.

But ideally we would see it happen the other way around: package
maintainers reaching out to us for inclusion.

> I welcome help in doing that work, BTW.

Is there a list of packages we would like to see included and their
current status?  That would definitely make it easier to get involved.
Such a list could also include the packages where we have tried but
hit a dead end.

We could add this to the Emacs TODO and/or a separate file in the ELPA
repository.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas