Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: ndame
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2020 04:28:02 +0000

> Yes. I'd say at least half of the packages we currently have in GNU
> ELPA are there because we went out and tried to get the authors to
> contribute their package to GNU ELPA.

An alternative could be adding MELPA too by default to package-archives,
but with a filtered package list.

In order to get into the default MELPA filter a package is required
to have a free license and it has to be a quality package with an
active maintainer.

This way out of the box emacs would be in control what can be installed
from MELPA, so there is less need to move the package into ELPA.
The filter list itself could be in ELPA, so it can be
updated independently of Emacs' release cycle.

And, of course, the user could also modify the filter list in his own
config allowing installation of any package he likes.