Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Ema

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Why are so many great packages not trying to get included in GNU Emacs?
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 21:46:36 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> That's right.  There is a practical problem, OTOH, which is that
> write/push access to a GNU ELPA package currently means write access to
> all GNU ELPA packages as well as to Emacs's repository.
>
> For this reason, while some GNU ELPA package maintainers can "just push"
> as they see fit, as it should be, others haven't yet been granted this
> right.  This is a problem which we should solve, indeed, for the benefit
> of those less-lucky package maintainers, as well as for the benefit of
> those Emacs maintainers who have to play the middle men, and more
> generally for the benefit of the GNU ELPA archive and hence Emacs users
> since the current situation tends to discourage submissions.
>
> Note that giving write access widely, as we do now, has advantages as
> well, in that it encourages package maintainers to participate in
> development of Emacs more generally.

To me the fact that a number of package maintainers is without write
access sounds quite odd.

If they are trusted to maintain a package they are supposed to have also
the skills to push correctly a git commit.

Looking at other Free Software projects I'm involved I can testify that
trust pays off and I think they should get write access.  My 2 cents.

  Andrea

--
address@hidden