Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay, was: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 19:39:44 +0300

From: Stefan Monnier<address@hidden>
Cc:address@hidden,address@hidden,address@hidden,
   address@hidden,address@hidden,address@hidden
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 11:13:27 -0400

Like I said: redisplay itself calls those functions internally in many
situations, and scroll-conservatively > 100 makes it use that much
more.  When I said above "almost every command", I meant redisplay
triggered after commands that move point.
But my understanding was that this part of the discussion was focused on
the distinction between "may run redisplay/jit-lock during the execution
of the command itself" vs "only runs jit-lock/redisplay once the command
itself is over".
That was not my understanding, but if I misunderstood, apologies.

If the command does not simulate redisplay, and only redisplay itself does something (extra? special? I'm not sure), then I don't think I would apply.

Not according to the reasoning I outlined, at least.