Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Scrolling commands and skipping redisplay
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 16:45:02 +0300

> Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 13:21:26 +0000
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> My personal view: As defaults, I think (i)a and (ii)a are bad, due
> to the long intervals Emacs appears to have hung in.  Of (i)b and (ii)b,
> I think (i)b is better, since it avoids the "twinkling" of (ii)b.
>
> I dislike (iii)a,b because of the appearance of non-fontified screens,
> but particularly because the last screen gets fontified in situ after
> first appearing unfontified.  I think the non-fontification looks poor
> to a user, even though the scrolling is smooth.
>
> If it were up to me to chose a default setting, I would prefer (i)b,
> closely followed by (ii)b.

Disclosure: I didn't implement any of these options.

I dislike (i)b and (ii)b because they are jerky, and because when I
stop leaning on C-v, I have a lot of screen to watch scrolling, until
Emacs starts executing new commands.  I guess my auto-repeat rate is
higher than Alan's. or maybe it's because I'm trying this in a GUI
frame, not a TTY frame.

My favorite (if one needs to alleviate the default, where Emacs hangs
-- I never actually lean on C-v for prolonged times, except for
testing this very issue) is (iii)a, because it gives me an
uninterrupted scrolling and immediate response once I release C-v.