Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 11:27:56 -0400

On 17/04/2020 10.46, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:13:58 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> This definition is evaluated once and for all, instead of once per frame.
>> Isn't that a bug?
>
> I don't know.  AFAIK, we don't have infrastructure for deciding when
> stuff like that needs to be re-evaluated and how to use different
> results for different frames.  If someone wants to work on such
> infrastructure, I think it will bring us a step closer to being able
> to support different GUI frame types (like GTK, w32, NS, etc.) in the
> same session.

I may be missing something, but I don't think such infrastructure is needed
here — we already have most of what's needed with conditional faces.  The
attached patch gets us 90% of the way, with the only remaining issue being
wrapping buttons in square brackets on text terminals.

We'd also need a similar trick for check-boxes and the like.

WDYT?