Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 10:13:58 -0400

On 17/04/2020 03.09, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> From: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 15:52:54 -0400
>>
>>   emacs -Q --daemon
>>   emacsclient --alternate-editor="emacs -Q" --nw # In this window, run M-x
>> customize-face RET bold RET then exit
>>   emacsclient --alternate-editor="emacs -Q" --create-frame # In this window,
>> run M-x customize-face RET bold RET
>>
>> The second customization window doesn't have 3D buttons.
>
> Because your Emacs was started as a daemon.

As Stefan pointed out, this isn't due to the daemon.  But even so, starting
Emacs as a daemon shouldn't break 3D buttons.

A few messages ago, the following discussion happened:

>> For me, the only 'buttons' I see are the widget style buttons and these are
>> not really buttons -
>> they are really text 'fake' buttons.
>
> Not sure what you mean by "text fake buttons".  We show a 3D
> appearance on button widgets

I was just pointing out that in may cases we don't show a 3D appearance on
button widgets.  You also wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something, but AFAIK we already have different code
> for rendering this stuff in GUI and in text-mode frames. The GUI code
> inserts an image and simulates the 3D "raised button" appearance,
> whereas the text-mode code shows some ASCII art instead.
The code is here:

(defcustom custom-raised-buttons (not (equal (face-valid-attribute-values :box)
                                             '(("unspecified" . unspecified))))
  "If non-nil, indicate active buttons in a raised-button style.
Otherwise use brackets."
  :type 'boolean
  :version "21.1"
  :group 'custom-buffer
  :set (lambda (variable value)
         (custom-set-default variable value)
         (setq custom-button
               (if value 'custom-button 'custom-button-unraised))
         (setq custom-button-mouse
               (if value 'custom-button-mouse 'highlight))
         (setq custom-button-pressed
               (if value
                   'custom-button-pressed
                 'custom-button-pressed-unraised))))

This definition is evaluated once and for all, instead of once per frame.
Isn't that a bug?

Clément.