Re: Multiple definitions of explicit-shell-file-name

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Multiple definitions of explicit-shell-file-name
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 18:54:59 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I noticed that explicit-shell-file-name has been defined as a user
>> option in three different places since at least as far back as 1997:
>>
>> - lisp/shell.el
>> - lisp/term.el
>> - lisp/obsolete/terminal.el
>>
>> Each file also assigns it a different custom :group.  Can we consolidate
>> these duplicates in a single place such as lisp/simple.el, as follows?
>
> I don't think it belongs in simple.el.  It should be in shell.el.

I agree, but explicit-shell-file-name is used in contexts unrelated to
shell.el, such as ansi-term and dired-insert-directory.

Rather than define explicit-shell-file-name in a central place like
simple.el, should these external users all check that the variable is
bound first?

If so, I'll update the patch and send it to the issue tracker for
further feedback.

Thanks,

--
Basil