Re: "Why is emacs so square?"

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: "Why is emacs so square?"
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 20:15:17 +0300

On 15.04.2020 17:31, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I think the difficulty here is to look "contemporary" and yet fit every
platform Emacs is run on. Button widgets look different on each. Even
between GUI toolkits. And change between releases.

There are only 2 variants: native buttons (provided by some toolkit)
or the ones we draw ourselves.  And there's no requirement that they
all look the same, I think: they should have the look-and-feel of the
toolkit being used.

These are implementation options. But either the "ones we draw ourselves" are designed to fit each platform, or they looks the same across platforms, with our personal look.

The latter option is sometimes taken by professional applications in which the user spends most of their time (e.g. Blender, or at least some of it earlier versions that I've tried).

The other option, of course, is to look both modern and unique, but it's
a harder proposition, especially without a graphical designer on the
team. And this stuff gets outdated quickly.

I think "modern and unique" is a contradiction of terms nowadays ;-)

In principle, I disagree. But it's difficult, and it's a balancing act, of course, between having them look distinct and interesting, but still familiar enough, and not too "tacky" (meaning, a design too exotic can become an eyesore after a while). It's a problem that bigger companies put whole design departments on.