Re: Rendering regression in Gnus with gnus-treat-from-gravatar

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Rendering regression in Gnus with gnus-treat-from-gravatar
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 17:12:00 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 15:54:09 +0200
>
>     >> Or itʼs the interaction with redisplay thatʼs slow
>
>     Eli> What interaction is that?
>
> The url request fetches some image data, and inserts that in the Gnus
> article buffer. It won't get shown until redisplay runs, which means
> the main thread has to run.

Assuming that the non-main thread exits once it's done fetching,
that's not different from a single-threaded fetching, is it?  IOW,
redisplay won't kick in until the code which fetches the images
finishes.

> Itʼs not yet clear to me from which thread that insertion eventually
> gets done

The one that fetches the stuff, I suppose.  If not, how will the
fetched stuff get passed to the main thread for insertion?