Re: Rendering regression in Gnus with gnus-treat-from-gravatar

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Rendering regression in Gnus with gnus-treat-from-gravatar
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 15:54:09 +0200

    >> where the gravatar thread is doing 'condition-wait' on that same
    >> condition var. Except that it then fires off an asynchronous url
    >> request, so perhaps thatʼs the slow bit.

    Eli> You could put a breakpoint before and after the URL request, and then
    Eli> see which part takes time.

Iʼll try that.

    >> Or itʼs the interaction with redisplay thatʼs slow

    Eli> What interaction is that?

The url request fetches some image data, and inserts that in the Gnus
article buffer. It won't get shown until redisplay runs, which means
the main thread has to run. Itʼs not yet clear to me from which thread
that insertion eventually gets done, maybe some more calls to
thread-yield are necessary.

(this would all be easier if emacs threading weren't cooperative, but
baby steps)

Robert