Re: Question about composite.c

From: Gerry Agbobada
Subject: Re: Question about composite.c
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 00:43:59 +0200

Hello,

It took me a good while, but I found a case where :
- I can reproduce with =emacs -q=  (Reproducing infinite looping in
composition_get_gstring with an empty non-nil string)
- prettify-symbols-mode is not enabled

The example includes the code of eros.el package, which creates an
overlay when calling eval-last-sexp. The overlay is supposed to start
with `=>`, and when I have this in my composition-function-table it
triggers the loop.
As explained in the file linked below, with the cursor on `(+ 3 2)|`
I'd expect `C-x C-e` to create an overlay with `=> 5`. Instead, it
loops indefinitely and the only way out is to kill -9 emacs (kill
-USR2 doesn't help)

Question is : is there something I should do from elisp point of view
(as a user of eros, and composition-function-table) to avoid this
problem ? I'm still not sure about the code path that I'm following to
lead to this point. :(

I'm writing this from gmail, I wasn't able to paste the file in the
editor respecting the newlines, so I pushed it in a gist... I'd prefer
the code to be archived in the mailing list, but until I find a better
mail client than gmail online one, I won't be able to do it sorry.

For the time being, it is here
https://gist.github.com/gagbo/13239f12cfd6b90cce32b1c255f2553d (325
lines long)
Feel free to paste it in the conversation if you feel it is safer.
Someday I'll stop using Gmail I suppose.

Best regards
Gerry