Re: master 188bd80: gnus-shorten-url: Improve and avoid args-out-of-rang

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: master 188bd80: gnus-shorten-url: Improve and avoid args-out-of-range error
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 20:51:36 +0300

> From: Štěpán Němec <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:48:19 +0200
>
> On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:42:55 +0300
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > I don't remember past discussions,
>
> They usually come in the form of "why are CJK misaligned in
> tables/buffer list" or "how do I get wide characters exactly twice as
> wide as non-wide characters, without messing up line height" etc.

I think alignment on GUI frames is a separate issue, because most
characters involved in this have glyphs that are neither 1 nor 2
columns, but somewhere in-between.  And the only way of aligning those
is by using the :align-to display spec.  Unless one succeeds in
finding a font that has each glyph's width to be an integral multiple
of the font size.

> > I think the GBK setting assumes some specific fonts to be used.  Does
> > anything change if you start Emacs in a GBK locale to begin with?
>
> I start emacs with LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8" (which AFAIK is still the only
> way to persuade it to use a system-wide input method), and in my init
> file `set-language-environment' to "UTF-8". When I don't do the latter,
> Emacs picks the "Chinese-GBK" environment.

I hoped that using a GBK locale would somehow change the fonts being
used, but maybe this no longer works on modern systems.  That part of
characters.el needs revisiting, the problem is that we no longer have
people available who remember why this was done.  Handa-san is my last
hope, as I think he wrote most of that code.