Re: master 188bd80: gnus-shorten-url: Improve and avoid args-out-of-rang

From: Štěpán Němec
Subject: Re: master 188bd80: gnus-shorten-url: Improve and avoid args-out-of-range error
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:48:19 +0200

On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 15:42:55 +0300
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I don't remember past discussions,

They usually come in the form of "why are CJK misaligned in
tables/buffer list" or "how do I get wide characters exactly twice as
wide as non-wide characters, without messing up line height" etc.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=CJK+alignment&submit=Search%21&idxname=emacs-devel&max=100&result=normal&sort=date%3Alate

Maybe the second issue has more to do with the display engine, but I
thought more accurate `string-width' should help with the first one at
least.

>> > See the definition of the Chinese-GBK language, it calls
>> > use-cjk-char-width-table that sets up the char-width-table entries
>> > specially, not sure why.  Maybe Handa-san can comment on this.
>>
>> Now I see that "…" causes other stange behaviour with Chinese-GBK on TTY
>> frames, too, probably as an artifact of its having "width" 2: it causes
>> cursor to skip the following character when moving over it.
>
> I think the GBK setting assumes some specific fonts to be used.  Does
> anything change if you start Emacs in a GBK locale to begin with?

I start emacs with LC_CTYPE="zh_CN.UTF-8" (which AFAIK is still the only
way to persuade it to use a system-wide input method), and in my init
file `set-language-environment' to "UTF-8". When I don't do the latter,
Emacs picks the "Chinese-GBK" environment. I only found that out
yesterday, being at a loss as to why my tests (involving "…") passed in
my usual Emacs and failed in emacs -Q (still started with the LC_CTYPE
set, though).

--
Štěpán