RE: Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Request for pointers and advice: displaying several buffers inside a single window
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2020 22:23:29 -0700 (PDT)

> >   > v - isearchp-toggle-anti-zones-invisible
> >   > V - isearchp-toggle-zones-invisible
> >   > ~ - isearchp-toggle-complementing-domain
> >   > d - isearchp-toggle-dimming-outside-search-area
> >
> > Can anyone come up with a simpler interface for this?
> > One that reduces the amount that a user needs to memorize
> > before using the feature?
>
> Isearch keybindings could be on the M-s prefix key.

Kind of you to worry about this.  But the library
that defines those toggle commands, isearch-prop.el,
already binds the two non-zone ones to keys in
`isearch-mode-map':

(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-M-~")
            'isearchp-toggle-complementing-domain)
(define-key isearch-mode-map (kbd "C-M-S-d")
            'isearchp-toggle-dimming-outside-search-area)

Those two commands are not only for zones.  They apply
also to search, so they deserve `isearch-mode-map' keys.

I gave them bindings in the zones toggle keymap because
they're also useful for zones, not just for searching.
Both sets of bindings are useful.

(Dimming the areas outside zones and dimming the areas
not being searched have the same behavior.  I defined
it first for searching, which is why its toggle command
still has the name `...outside-search-area'.  Maybe I
should rename it.)

Yes, I'm the one who decided which of the zones.el and
isearch-prop.el commands deserve keys, and in which maps.