Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs rendering comparisson between emacs23 and emacs26.3
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 09:15:49 +0300

> Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2020 20:10:18 +0000
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
>
> OK, I'm on Line 8759, where I've got:
>
>   else
>     cp->status = STATUS_READ_FAILED;
>
> (I haven't updated for a few days.)  Is this the same place?

Yup.

> > FTR, this is in Emacs 27.0.90 built with -Og, but a -O2 compilation of
> > Emacs 26.3 takes only slightly less time in this case.
>
> Is this not jit-lock-context-time?

I have no idea.  But if you are saying that this is "normal", then I
disagree: I don't see why the change in fontification after DEL is
instantaneous, while the change after typing 'e' takes such annoyingly
long time.  Is jit-lock-context-time not involved in the former? if
so, why?

> However, first setting font-lock-support-mode to nil, then
> reinitialising font-lock, deleting then reinserting that "e", the line
> after the else _never_ gets its (lack of) face back.

So this is still rather a mystery, isn't it?

Thanks.