Re: [native-comp] Small, new bug with macros?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: [native-comp] Small, new bug with macros?
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2020 20:45:13 +0000

Hi Adam,

I've looked into the issue.  I think the code in bufler.el generting the
error reduces to something like:

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
;;; bufler.el  -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

(defmacro bufler-defauto-group ())

(eval-and-compile
  (if 1
      (bufler-defauto-group)
    (bufler-defauto-group)))
#+BEGIN_END

I think the compiler error is correct because `bufler-defauto-group' is
not defined in the compilation environment.  You should get the same
error from a fresh Emacs instance just byte-compiling.

The fix should be to wrap its definition within `eval-and-compile' too.

Because the native compiler spawn sub-processes for async compilations
it is a little more severe into highlight this tricky issues into the
code.

Changing topic I have no idea why this instead go through.  To me looks
like a bug, isn't?

#+BEGIN_SRC elisp
;;; bufler.el  -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

(defmacro bufler-defauto-group ())

 (eval-and-compile
   (bufler-defauto-group))
#+BEGIN_END