Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in E

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Reliable after-change-functions (via: Using incremental parsing in Emacs)
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 18:06:37 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 09:02:41 -0400
>
> > If we really want to tackle this issue, there are other approaches to
> > consider, e.g. background parsing, or parsing up until a time limit, and
> > resume parsing when Emacs is idle. Tree-sitter's API supports the
> > latter.
>
> Emacs is in dire need to exploit multiple cores.

True.

> It would be very natural to run tree-parser's initial parse
> asynchronously in a separate thread.  This requires to pass
> tree-parser a *copy* of the buffer's text.

This also raises a lot of issues and problems of its own, of which
copying the buffer is the least one.  We don't yet have any example of
such asynchronous processing, so this feature will have to be the
first that does it, and will then have to resolve the issues in
addition to doing its main job.