Re: bug#40248: 27.0.90; Failure open .authinfo.gpg from Gnus

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: bug#40248: 27.0.90; Failure open .authinfo.gpg from Gnus
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2020 13:10:37 +0200

Robert Pluim <address@hidden> writes:

> Now that Iʼve actually tested it, the change looks like this, making
> make-network-process and make-serial process behave the same as
> make-process and make-pipe-process. Iʼve looked at all uses of those
> two functions in Emacs' sources, and none of them depend on the change
> in semantics, in fact only a couple of them actually pass a :coding
> keyword.
>
> Having said all that, this does go back a looooong way (2002 at
> least), so maybe we want to let sleeping dogs lie.

Yeah, it does sound slightly scary, but I think the current nil
behaviour for :coding is probably not something any code would rely
on...  I'm not quite sure what `nil' semantics for :coding here would
signify?

On the other hand, I generally think that functions should respect their
parameters, so if you say :coding nil, it might then be somewhat
surprising that `coding-system-for-{read,write}' are used instead?

So I'm not quite sure that the current make-network-process behaviour
here is a bug.