Re: Optional support for GDI+ on Windows (emacs-28)

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Optional support for GDI+ on Windows (emacs-28)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2020 20:33:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 05:26:08AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 21:36:06 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: Alan Third <address@hidden>
> > Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> >
> > > Can you elaborate?  I don't think I understand the request, probably
> > > because I know very little about how NS deals with images in Emacs.
> >
> > Simply that since the proposed patch works largely the same as the NS
> > port, if possible leave any implementation generic. That is, rather
> > than create a variable called w32-png-use-gdi-plus, perhaps name it
> > something like image–png-use-native.
>
> My idea is to define a new image type, and have a image_types[] entry
> set up to call the native method.  Something like that, anyway.  Would
> that be okay?

Fine with me. I’d considered something similar for the NS port a while
back.

In actual fact what I’d wondered about was whether it would be
possible to delegate the image loading routine to a module, so it
would be possible to have, say, an imagemagick module, or a gd module,
or whatever and if someone wanted to use one they could just load it.
But I don’t know if modules would be suitable and I never investigated
it.

It would probably require significantly more upheaval than what we’re
talking about here.
--
Alan Third