Re: On elisp running native

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: On elisp running native
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 18:39:38 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Andrea Corallo <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2020 11:28:19 +0000
>>
>> By the way I've tried to rebase on latest trunk and did some boostraps
>> but I get from time to time backtraces always going through libpthread.
>
> Can you show an example of such a backtrace, with source file,
> function name, and line number information?
>
>> Does this ring any bell to anybody?  The branch the native compiler is
>> currently based on date beginning of the year.  Did something
>> fundamental changed around threading?
>
> Bootstrapping Emacs doesn't use threads, so I'm unsure what changes in
> threading could be relevant.
>
> But to answer your question, we changed slightly how thread is
> started, as side effect of fixing the code which assigns a name to a
> new thread.

Hi Eli,

the backtraces I've observed are like this:

Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
Backtrace:
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x5a7462]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x55fbe8]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x5a6d01]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x5a6cd6]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x5a6d38]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x5a6ed2]
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0(+0x12890)[0x7f5d482cf890]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x512f19]
../src/bootstrap-emacs[0x6dbb91]

they are not run into the debugger so there's no line number (even if
bootstrap-emacs has debug symbols).

Anyway at this point I suspect is not thread related and is likely to be
my fault.  Tonight I'll run some tests under rr to better understand
what's going on thanks.

--
address@hidden