Re: bad default font on Windows mingw64

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: bad default font on Windows mingw64
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:13:59 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:02:03 -0700
>>
>> With recent builds of master on mingw64, I'm getting a missing default
>> font; see attached screenshot of emacs -Q.

> But you can invoke Emacs in
> a way that instructs it to use Uniscribe instead:
>
>   emacs -Q -xrm Emacs.fontBackend:uniscribe

That gives me a readable font. But my normal startup complains:

    Font `Courier-9' is not defined

One of my normal startup commands changes the font to "Courier-9", via
`modify-frame-parameters'. Apparently that works with harfbuzz, but not
Uniscribe.

> If you click S-mouse-2 and select "Change Buffer Font...", what font
> is shown in the dialog as the current one?

I assume that's the font that is selected when the dialog starts.

With the Uniscribe backend, it's "Courier New". "Courier" does not show
size 9.

Same for harbuzz backend.

In harbuzz, if I use that dialog to select 'fixedsys', the buffer is
readable; the minibuffer and mode bar are not. Same for "Courier", but
that does.

Selecting "Lucida Console" or "Courier New" give unreadable fonts.

--
-- Stephe