Re: bad default font on Windows mingw64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bad default font on Windows mingw64
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 22:35:11 +0300

> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:13:59 -0700
>
> >   emacs -Q -xrm Emacs.fontBackend:uniscribe
>
> That gives me a readable font.

Then I think you should step through w32hb_encode_char in an Emacs
invoked normally (only with -Q), and see what happens there.  I'm
guessing it fails for some reason.

> > If you click S-mouse-2 and select "Change Buffer Font...", what font
> > is shown in the dialog as the current one?
>
> I assume that's the font that is selected when the dialog starts.
>
> With the Uniscribe backend, it's "Courier New". "Courier" does not show
> size 9.
>
> Same for harbuzz backend.

So for some reason HarfBuzz cannot use Courier New.  Strange.
Are you sure your MSYS2/MinGW64 installation is up to date?
What was the commit from which you built your previous binary, which
did work?

Does anyone else see something similar with MinGW64?