Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Amin Bandali
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 10:42:57 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 16:58:22 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> > From: Amin Bandali <address@hidden>
>> > Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 09:29:48 -0400

>> > You could also go for something like Tridactyl [0], which allows you to
>> > accomplish various tasks using only your keyboard.
>>
>> This looks like Emacs-like keybindings in a browser?
>
> No, it isn't.  I misunderstood, sorry.

No problems.

> However, programming a browser in JS is not something I'd be excited
> to do in order to be able to have decent text-editing capabilities.
> IMO, that's really gross.

Of course, I don’t like touching JS with a 10ft pole either.  Luckily
other brave souls have taken it upon themselves to do it by making tools
like Tridactyl and we can enjoy the fruits of their efforts.  For better
or worse, Tridactyl’s config file mostly looks like Vim’s; so you’re not
really writing any JS to change any of its settings (unless you choose
to do so, of course) but rather you’re setting its different options.

Also, a side note: Tridactyl doesn’t do much in the way of improving the
text-editing experience in the browser itself.  Most of its usefulness
actually shines when you’re *not* editing text, by letting you bind your
preferred keys (e.g. p and n) for actions like scrolling up and down or
opening/closing tabs and many other things.  Editing text is actually
where it steps aside and lets you edit textareas in your favourite
editor.  Do I wish I could seamlessly and securely browse through the
“modern web” without leaving Emacs?  Of course.  But in lieu of that, I
find the next best thing for me is to have some resemblance of Emacs
(e.g. its keybindings) in IceCat while browsing, and having an addon
that would let me edit textareas in Emacs.