Re: Fill column indicator functionality

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: Fill column indicator functionality
Date: Fri, 03 May 2019 15:14:50 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 13:08:08 +0200
>> From: Ergus <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> address@hidden fill-column-face
>
> This face should be indexed, use @vindex for that.

[...]

>> +;; Definition stolen from display-line-numbers.
>> +(defface fill-column-face
>> +  '((t :inherit (shadow default)))
>> +  "Face for displaying fill column indicator line.
>                                                 ^^^^
> I'd drop the "line" part.  You allude to the shape of the indicator
> character, but it doesn't have to look like a line, and using "line"
> is confusing here.

I'm not sure how closely this convention is followed in new code, but
FWIW the defface docs under (info "(elisp) Defining Faces") say:

 -- Macro: defface face spec doc [keyword value]...
     This macro declares FACE as a named face whose default face spec is
     given by SPEC.  You should not quote the symbol FACE, and it should
     not end in ‘-face’ (that would be redundant).

Thanks,

--
Basil