Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 20:40:28 +0300

> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 11:26:43 -0600
>
> > We could, of course, invent a new struct and a new macro, but we'd be
> > reinventing the FRAME_RIF stuff anyway: the result will most probably
> > look identical to FRAME_RIF, except for names.  Is that worth our
> > while?
>
> Probably not. I was thinking about the rest being terminal hooks,
> though. WDYT?

Not sure what you mean by "terminal hooks".  They all accept a pointer
to a frame, no?

> >> This one is called in keyboard.c:
> >> ** x_get_keysym_name
> >
> > This one should simply be renamed without the x_ prefix, I think.
>
> That would still leave the issue of it making the code
> single-backend-only. Though, I guess it's not going anywhere.

What do you mean by single-backend-only?  There will be several
implementations, one each for every backend.  It's not a catastrophe,
and I don't see how to solve it without ugly ifdef's or even more
complications.  Doesn't sound justified, as long as no one is working
on allowing the same session create frames on different
window-systems.

> Should I take it that you are in agreement with the gui- prefix for the
> Lisp side?

I guess it's as good as any other.