Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Renaming non-X x_* procedures in xdisp.c (and elsewhere)
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 13:07:36 +0300

> From: Alex <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 13:21:22 -0600
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Maybe you are right.  How about making a list of those functions
> > first?  When I looked at them, my impression was that most of them
> > _are_ related to display, but maybe I was wrong.  We can decide once
> > we see the list.
>
> Alright, I got most of the grunt work done.

Thanks (and apologies for not getting to respond earlier).

> There are three left in xdisp.c:
>
> ** x_clear_under_internal_border
> ** x_change_tool_bar_height
> ** x_implicitly_set_name
>
> Here are those called in frame.{c, h}
>
> ** x_set_scroll_bar_default_{width, height}
> ** x_set_frame_alpha
> ** x_bitmap_icon
> ** x_new_font
> ** x_set_offset
> ** x_set_window_size
> ** x_focus_frame
> ** x_make_frame_(in)visible
> ** x_iconify_frame
>
> This one is called in image.c:
> ** x_query_color(s)

So why do you prefer not to add this to redisplay_interface?

We could, of course, invent a new struct and a new macro, but we'd be
reinventing the FRAME_RIF stuff anyway: the result will most probably
look identical to FRAME_RIF, except for names.  Is that worth our
while?

> This one is called in keyboard.c:
> ** x_get_keysym_name

This one should simply be renamed without the x_ prefix, I think.

> I'm not sure what purpose x_get_keysym_name serves (see the comment in
> nsterm.m's implementation).

Let's leave that specific issue for another time for now.

> >> Where would be the best place to add the obsolete aliases?
> >
> > lisp/term/common-win.el, perhaps?
>
> Oh, I figured I couldn't use that because of the `pc' window system, but
> it looks like that one doesn't set HAVE_WINDOW_SYSTEM, confusingly
> enough.

It's due to some ancient history: once upon a time, text terminals
couldn't use colors, menus, and the mouse, whereas the MSDOS port did
that from day one.

Thanks.