Re: TRAMP VC optimization fails: non-TRAMP filenames handled incorrectly

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: TRAMP VC optimization fails: non-TRAMP filenames handled incorrectly in async operations.
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 18:49:41 +0100

Daniel Pittman <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Daniel,

> My best guess is that we should disable that optimization for now, and
> if desirable, reapproach it.

Before doing this, I'd like to check whether there is a simple solution.

> One possibly functional strategy, but that I have not considered all
> possible angles of, might be to fetch the path and then if `(not
> (tramp-file-name-p ...))` dispatch to the original file name handlers.
>  I think that would absolutely work as long as none of those callbacks
> interacted with a tramp path at all, and it .... might, but probably
> wouldn't, if they did.

In your initial message you've said, that the problem happened inside
tramp-vc-file-name-handler. Is this always the case? If yes, I could
simply catch errors inside this function, and in case of, throw away all
results. This would fall back to the non-optimized solution by default.

Since I cannot reproduce the problem (yet), do you have a backtrace?
Setting tramp-verbose to 10 would suffice, because with this verbosity,
any error triggers Tramp to write the backtrace into the debug buffer.

> Historically, I attached a tramp operation to copy the generated
> server(-start) key to a remote tramp path, since I used a TCP
> listener, ssh forwarding, and that shared secret to allow remote
> emacsclient to work.  That could have triggered at any point after
> tramp reconnected, as it advised a fairly low level tramp function.
> I'm not sure how common (or cared about) that sort of nastly hack is,
> but I'm not confident that more legitimate ways to do the same could
> be in use in the wild.

Sorry, I don't follow here :-( How is this related?

Best regards, Michael.