Re: [ELPA] New package: smalltalk-mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: smalltalk-mode
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 15:01:24 -0400

> Not sure what this all means from the legal POV.  Lately, Richard
> asked us to make sure people who contribute code to ELPA and have
> copyright assignments for Emacs to say clearly that they contribute
> the code for Emacs, in order for the assignment to be effective.
>
> OTOH, you are saying this is part of GNU Smalltalk, which has separate
> assignments.

I think it's fine: the copyright does belong to the FSF.  Which project
a file/package belongs to is only important w.r.t when someone
contributes a patch, so it's OK for a file to be covered by some patches
made to Emacs and some patches made to Smalltalk, as long as each patch
was contributed under the project for which the author had signed the
corresponding paperwork.

> On the third hand, I'm not sure who should be the author of the
> commit, should we decide to put this on ELPA.

The way I'm planning to add it to elpa.git is to first extract the Git
history of smalltalk-mode.el and then push that to elpa.git, so we don't
have to answer that question ;-)

        Stefan