Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 23:58:59 +0200

>> But we could accept people sending an email with a URL to a branch in
>> their own repository.  I'm not sure how conveniently Git handles that
>> (ideally, I'd like to be able to do something like "git diff URL"), but
>> we could in any case add a VC command to do that.
>
> "git pull" is actually "git fetch" + "git merge" so to check a remote
> repository one would do "git fetch https://...";. Then useful comands
> would be
>
> git diff master...FETCH_HEAD  # from branches' common base to FETCH_HEAD
> git diff master FETCH_HEAD    # between the brances
> git log -p master..FETCH_HEAD # log+patches from the common base to FETCH_HEAD

In bug#33950 we are creating a vc command for this, but the problem is in
Git inconsistency: it uses 3 dots for diff, and 2 dots for log.

> If FETCH_HEAD from a remote url is not merged or turned into a named
> branch the new git objects will eventually be garbage collected.

I didn't know about FETCH_HEAD because vc-git doesn't show it in the
completion list that contains only HEAD.  Maybe FETCH_HEAD should be
added to vc-git-revision-table as well?

What other useful ref names are provided by git?