Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [RFE] Migration to gitlab
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 11:19:26 -0400

>> "git pull" is actually "git fetch" + "git merge" so to check a remote
>> repository one would do "git fetch https://...";. Then useful comands
>> would be
>>
>> git diff master...FETCH_HEAD  # from branches' common base to FETCH_HEAD
>> git diff master FETCH_HEAD    # between the brances
>> git log -p master..FETCH_HEAD # log+patches from the common base to
>> FETCH_HEAD
>>
>> If FETCH_HEAD from a remote url is not merged or turned into a named
>> branch the new git objects will eventually be garbage collected.
>
> Would people want to fetch from a random machine out there just to
> review a patch submission?  I'm not sure.

I know I would and can't see why other people wouldn't.

I expect it's safer to "git fetch + git diff" from a random machine out
there than it is to have your MUA process a random email from
a random person.

Clearly, it requires to be connected in order to fetch the branch
(rather than having the patch fetched when you sync your email), but you
can still review it offline after that.

        Stefan