Re: Core ELPA was: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Core ELPA was: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipulation
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 21:11:42 -0400

> The only good time it seems easier is stuck on a plane without network.

Working on Emacs without network access is very common for me.
So it's an important use-case.

I don't really care if there's a configure flag to enable/disable the
GNU ELPA integration, but I'd want to enable it, and I'd also want my
builds to keep working without any extra hassle when I'm offline.

Also, as a general rule, for technical reasons as well as for privacy
reasons we consider it important not to initiate network connections
unless the user explicitly requested that network connection.
[ Same reason why Emacs doesn't offer to auto-update packages at
  startup.  ]

        Stefan