Re: Core ELPA was: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipu

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Core ELPA was: Testing fontification, indentation, and buffer manipulation
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2019 22:23:17 -0500

> The problem with branches is that what is on the branch changes. My
> feeling is that the build process should be repeatable; so building
> emacs-27.1-with-elpa.tgz should not result in different tar balls as
> ELPA changes.

By principle, GNU ELPA packages don't have to be "in-sync" with Emacs,
so this is not terribly important.

I think on Emacs `master` we won't want to use fixed SHAs but will just
use whatever's on `master` of elpa.git.  On the release branch, we'll
probably want to be more specific, using corresponding branches.

> Finally, neither solve the problem -- if a branch or tag is add
> EMACS/elpa/Makefile.in which exists in the ELPA repo, but not in the
> clone on the local machine the build will fail.

I think the use of branches/tags will make it sufficiently infrequent
that it's not a big deal.  Also the build shouldn't completely fail.

        Stefan