Re: Emacs i18n

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2019 20:15:44 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2019 21:16:07 -0500
>
> We could recognize all strings passed as certain arguments to certain
> functions as translatable automatically, and have an explicit
> way to mark other strings as translatable.  That could reduce
> the amount of work for developers to mark them.

You mean, the function, such as 'message', that receives the string
will translate it?  As opposed to the alternative of translating the
string _before_ it gets passed to the function?

If we do that, how do we deal with strings that are computed by
concatenation or formatting?  They get in one piece to functions like
'message', but the catalog will not hold that concatenated string, it
will have the parts separately.  How will the function be able to look
up the translation in such cases?