Re: Emacs i18n (was: bug#34520: delete-matching-lines should report how

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs i18n (was: bug#34520: delete-matching-lines should report how many lines it deleted)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2019 18:09:41 -0800

On 3/4/19 11:07 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I'm saying that IMO it makes no sense at all to do this only for C.

Yes, of course it should also work for Elisp. I mentioned C only as a
way to get it started, since the C infrastructure already exists and we
need to do it for the C messages anyway.

> The infrastructure used for that will most probably not work for Lisp,
> let alone allow separate translations for separate packages to be
> brought together and used in the same Emacs session.

I don't see why it wouldn't work for Elisp. The gettext infrastructure
allows multiple message catalogs in the same session. Obviously some
hacking would be involved, since Elisp currently doesn't do any of this;
but it could be built atop the existing infrastructure used by other GNU
applications rather than being rewritten from scratch.