Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extract

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extracted from etags.el
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 01:45:14 +0200

>> Also is it possible to complete only on file names, not paths?
>
> You can input a file name and press RET. If the name is unique, it will be
> completed fully. Isn't this the best possible scenario?

Rather it completes on path components too, not only on file names.
Makes more difficult to match part of the file name when the same substring
occurs in the path.

>>> OK, so unless somebody objects I'd like to move them to lisp/multifile.el
>>> and rename to multifile-project-find-regexp and
>>> multifile-project-query-replace-regexp.
>>
>> I think they should mirror everything that makes sense to use in the
>> multifile project: project-occur, project-grep, ...
>
> "multifile project"
>
> Stefan, I think Juri is (maybe unknowingly) hinting that the package's name
> is a bit unfortunate.
>
> Every project is multifile (with very rare exceptions). It's not about that.

Either prefix multifile- or project- is fine, but not both at the same time.
Or better just shorten to multi-.  We already have multi-isearch (not
supporting project yet).

> Does M-x project-find-regexp work in the same situation?

I see that M-x project-find-regexp is like occur, so a better name would be
M-x project-occur.