Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extract

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extracted from etags.el
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2018 22:33:03 +0200

> And I'm thinking about this because there can be faster ways to list all
> files in the project than 'find' (e.g. 'git ls-files'). But
> xref-collect-matches should know nothing about 'git ls-files'.

'git ls-files' seems very fast, and moreover it outputs only relative
paths, not absolute.   On TAB completion with too long absolute paths
the list of completions is quite unreadable.

Also is it possible to complete only on file names, not paths?

> OK, so unless somebody objects I'd like to move them to lisp/multifile.el
> and rename to multifile-project-find-regexp and
> multifile-project-query-replace-regexp.

I think they should mirror everything that makes sense to use in the
multifile project: project-occur, project-grep, ...

Since there is query-replace-regexp, multifile-project-query-replace-regexp
makes sense.

But I don't know to what existing command corresponds 'project-search'?
I tried it on the Emacs source tree, but it failed with:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (compression-error "Opening input file" "error
uncompressing empty.zz.gz" "emacs/test/manual/etags/a-src/empty.zz.gz")