Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 21:20:26 +0200

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 02:00:39 +0700
> Cc: Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden>,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> a “walking stick” is a stick that is used for walking, or a “thinking
> cap” is a cap for thinking. They don’t walk and think on their own,
> but are tools used in a specific activity.

No, they are tools that help in that activity: the stick helps in
walking, the hat helps thinking.

By contrast, those patterns don't "help" destructuring in any way I
could spot.

In any case, even if we can find some convoluted justification for
"destructuring patterns", I think it's worth our while to try to look
for better terminology that doesn't need so many words to explain it,
but instead speaks for itself.