Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2018 02:00:39 +0700

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 1:34 AM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> A thing can be called "destructuring" if it destructures something.
> It's like a "flying carpet": the carpet that flies.  But in our case
> the patterns don't destructure anything, they are a means for
> destructuring.

The construct “<verb>ing <noun>” could alternatively be parsed as
“<gerund> <noun>”, with the gerund in the role of a determiner, e.g.:
a “walking stick” is a stick that is used for walking, or a “thinking
cap” is a cap for thinking. They don’t walk and think on their own,
but are tools used in a specific activity.